What is IoT? How is it useful?
- The Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of physical devices, vehicles, home appliances, and other items embedded with electronics, software, sensors, actuators, and connectivity which enables these things to connect and exchange data, creating opportunities for more direct integration of the physical world into computer-based systems, resulting in efficiency improvements, economic benefits, and reduced human exertions.
- The number of IoT devices increased 31% year-over-year to 8.4 billion in 2017 and it is estimated that there will be 30 billion devices by 2020. The global market value of IoT is projected to reach $7.1 trillion by 2020
- IoT is going to rule the world in the future and it is evident from above facts how fast the IoT Industry is evolving day by day.
- IoT devices are sometimes called smart-devices as they have real-time sensors and other hardware and software interconnected to form a technologically advanced device.
Current State of Construction Industry:
The current scenario of construction Industry is facing these issues:
- Lack of skilled labor
- Poor Safety of the Workmen
- No organized management of funds.
- Poor Planning methodologies
- Automation replacing workmen.
- Mismanagement leading to Project Delays
Due to these challenges, there was a need to implement advanced methodologies that could ensure to eradicate these disadvantages, help save time, help save resources and hence make efficient use of technology for the betterment of the Industry. To read in detail about the above-mentioned challenges please refer our article – Challenges in Construction Industry in India – 2018
IoT to Rescue:
Internet of Things (IoT) Technology recently has come up with many new developments that offer hope for a better future.
Also, the cost is affordable offering many benefits. The benefits and impact it has in Construction Industry are as follows
1. Safety for Workmen:
Internet of Things offers various options for workmen where they can use wearable safety tools/devices with sensors and tracking technology that could notify the workmen of danger and help them move to a safer zone.
There are various tools like Smart Helmets, Smart Watches etc and many more technologies that are being developed to enhance the safety aspect for the workmen.
This ensures that the workmen feel secured and hence put their extra effort and concentrate even better.
2. Time and Place Monitoring.
There are companies which combine IoT data with RFID (Radio-Frequency Identification) and ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) technologies to bridge time and distance constraints imposed by remote construction projects.
This will help locate the workmen with the help of GPS technology and track their location and hence ensure that the work is being carried out without any intervention.
IoT connects employees to their work environments. As earlier mentioned wearable technology is combined with other digital advancements to generate real-time data points. These points are then processed on the fly by a Cloud-driven data analytics program, which notifies the supervisor in charge of that sector and hence in no-time medical assistance can be provided.
3. Wage Distribution
Since time place monitoring is carried out by the IoT Software, it becomes easier to calculate the number of hours every worker has worked on the site, making it easier to distribute the wages without any partiality and only based on the number of hours worked and the number of days attended by the workmen.
This ensures that the company’s funds are distributed in a fair manner without any foul play.
4. Easy Accessibility and Reliability
Since an IoT Software is handling so many aspects, it becomes reliable, as sometimes, human calculations are prone to errors.
However, since IoT Software ensures that all the activities of the Workmen and all the other members are tracked it becomes easier to understand the growth rate and analyze which aspect of the accessibility could be improved for the betterment of the Company. Therefore, IoT Software acts as a very reliable and accessible source making the company owners confident and keeps them content.
5. Easier Maintenance
Since all of these aspects of security, safety, accessibility, and reliability are being assured of, this leads to increasing maintainability without any other extra effort.
6. Saving Resources
Since the wage distribution, accessibility and safety aspects are taken care of, the resources are also consumed in an efficient manner. IoT Software can be simulated to calculate the number of materials needed for a particular type of land for a particular type of construction. This software after analyzing several projects can thus predict approximate data when the area of land and construction type is mentioned. This again helps save resources and can help avoid unnecessary use of resources.
7. Completion of Project on Time.
Since all the aspects of a construction company are being analyzed and maintained by a highly enhanced IoT based Software, the project will be completed before time, which in turn increases the company’s reputation, and hence helps gain more customers.
Also, IoT based software provides insights which help company owners understand and analyze and learn about many more aspects of the Construction Field.
In this manner using an IoT based software not only benefits the Company Owner’s but also the workmen giving them more confidence and this enhances the Company-workmen relationship. Also proper use of resources, real-time tracking, and safety all of these help for the advancement of the company and all the people related to the company.
In this way, IoT based software’s and hardware devices are helping to overcome all of the challenges that were bring faced by the Construction Industry.
The future of the Construction Industry seems to be bright and would even develop better with the growing enhancements in IoT based software’s and hardware’s.